JKA Child Development Checklist
At JKA we provide loving and nurturing classrooms for all age groups. So children can have a "Love for Learning" and develop at their own pace. We also provide the children with the care, respect and understanding that they need and deserve.
We know that choosing a childcare facility can be very overwhelming at times with so many to choose from, so we have created a great childcare checklist to help you with the evaluation process. Take this checklist with you when you visit other centers, ask questions, make visits, compare them to one another. Make sure that they meet the criteria that you and your family are looking for.
We hope that this checklist will help you to make the best decision possible for your family and remember that no matter what type of program that you choose to place your child in, always make sure that you can develop a partnership together - to enhance your child's learning experience.
Remember that your overall feel of the facility should be a big part of your decision. Ask yourself - Does the center feel like:
"A Great Place For My Child To Learn & Grow
Tuition & Other Expenses:
- What are the hours and days of operation?
- Does the center offer full & part-time programs for children and are they flexible?
- What supplies and equipment does the center provide?
- What do I need to supply my child with?
- What are the centers sick child, discipline and operating policies?
- Does the center have an Open Door Policy?
- Can the center provide you with parent references?
- How is the security at the center? Do they have cameras? Monitoring System? Buzzers on the doors? Intercom System?
- What is the center's policy if someone else is picking up your child?
- What is the latest time I can drop my child off at school?
- Does the center follow the public school schedules? When public school is closed or dismisses early do you do the same?
Center's Atmosphere: (When you tour the centers)
- When are tuition payments due? Are there late fees if not paid on time?
- Do I still pay tuition if my child is absent, holidays, vacation, sick?
- How can tuition payments be made? Check? Credit card? Debit card? Cash?
- Is there a yearly registration fee?
- Are there extra charges if my child is picked up late?
- Does the school go on field trips? Are there extra costs? Can parents chaperone?
- For a school-age child- If public school is closed are there extra costs for the day, if I need to bring my child to the center?
- Do the children look busy, happy and well cared for?
- Are the teachers responding to the children and their needs?
- Did your child feel comfortable and want to get involved during the visit?
- How were the classrooms? Were they clean, big, bright and airy?
- Are safe, sanitary, and hygienic conditions being maintained?
- Does the center help with potty training?
- How are the outdoor areas? Is there more than one? What is the ground surface?
- Does the center have an indoor play area-for inclement weather days?
- How are parents informed? Does the center provide "extras"- newsletter, menus, daily reports, and calendar of events?
- Does the center allow time for a transition period for your child to get to know the center before they start?
- How long have the teachers been at the center?
- Can they administer medications?
- Are they all certified in First Aid & CPR?
- Are background checks and fingerprinting done on all staff?
- Can you tell the difference between teachers and parents? Do they wear name tags? Shirts with the center's name on them?
- What is the staff to child ratio?
- What would the center do to protect a child who has an allergy?
- What is the center's policy when a child gets hurt?
- What is the procedure when a child gets sick at the center?
- What are the steps taken to get a child involved in activities with the other children?
When visiting and touring JKA all of the above questions are answered along with any additional questions that parents/guardians may have. A parent packet is also provided to all parents who have toured our center which provides all of the above information and also additional information about the different programs that our center has to offer. Also parent references are available upon request